Saturday, October 19, 2013

Pumpkin Pasta Casserole

The perfect fall on a plate dinner - a mix of savory and aromatic, cheesy and delicious while being surprisingly fancy sounding. This is no kidding, one of the easiest, no hassle dinners that is both cheap & filling. The added flavor or pumpkin is a good source of Vitamin A and fiber that actually pulls the flavors together nicely.

 That being said, if you're worried about pumpkin, just know you can't really taste it in this casserole. The addition of the ingredient adds a natural sweetness with a tiny hint of color but the sugar actually offsets the tartness of the tomatoes.  


Ingredients
1 pound of pasta
3/4 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin filling)
3/4 cup chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 cups of fresh mozzarella
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
2-3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
freshly ground pepper, oregano, thyme, basil, sage leaves rosemary, parsley to taste

Heat your oven to 375°F and oil a 9x13-inch baking dish with olive oil. Set aside.
Bring a pot of water to boil over high heat, and stir about 1 tablespoon of salt with 1 tablespoon olive oil to prevent sticky noodles. Add the pasta, and turn the heat down to medium. Cook for 7 minutes (the golden number for premium al dente texture!) and drain.
Whisk together the ricotta, mozzarella, pureed pumpkin, garlic, and tomato in a large bowl. After that's good and mixed, add your spices.
Then, stir in the pasta and spread mixture evenly in your baking dish. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the top and bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until slightly brown on top. Let stand for a few minutes and enjoy the smell! Yum!

* If you are an Italian sausage fan, I would definitely suggest adding that to the recipe. It wasn't in my house at the time but try it out and let me know if it's a house favorite!*

4 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! I have quite a bit of pumpkin puree I froze, and it is nice to find recipes I can use it for, aside from baked goodies. Gotta get the family those vitamins! Would love if you stopped by and shared on Share Something Sunday Link Party !

    Thanks for sharing the recipe! Followed your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We must be twins then - I have sooo much pumpkin in my freezer! This recipe is pretty easy so I'm glad you are a fan. I'll stop by your Link Party today and look forward to spending time on your blog.

    Thanks so much, PioneerMomma. I am now following you as well, hun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe! I became a fan in like 22 seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to invite you to join our site www.erecipe.com . I really enjoy your blog and recipes and I think the over 8,000 unique daily visitors to eRecipe will too.
    By joining eRecipe, we will provide the Nutrition Facts for every recipe you post in which you could customize and add to your blog. Viewers need and love to know the nutritional facts. Its a free service that we offer to blogs and recipes we really love. It looks professional and your members will love it.
    Simply visit www.erecipe.com or contact me at michelle@erecipe.com. We look forward having you in our network!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little blog. I am sure to read and cherish every single comment left so please don't be shy! If you would like to send me an email instead, you can contact me at liztullo@gmail.com. XO

 
site design by designer blogs